Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Have you Hooked lately?

My momma was one that thought you should always learn to sew, knit, crochet and latch hook. Growing up I made so many latch work rugs.....I am surprised they did not cover the house. Sewing came fairly easy .... my momma was always sewing and I had a class in 8th grade. For my college graduation - my momma gave me my very own machine!!!
But ~ it was not until after I had my daughter that I took up knitting. Not sure why it took this long....I know that I had learned when I was younger...but it took a while to catch on. My daughter is a year round swimmer ~ therefore, many hours are spent sitting at a pool. Several of us moms decided knitting would be a good thing to try and many a scarf came out of our group.....never could make it to the next level ~ a hat! Of course the kids had to get into it and so we have MANY half done scarves or "doll" scarves.
Next came the latch hook kits from grandma. My momma thought it would be something fun for Bailey to work on in her free time. Bailey was about 5 or 6 years old......and she loved "hooking" as she called it. After we peeled ourselves off the floor from laughing, we told her NOT to refer to it as "hooking" outside the house.....she might get a few looks. Nothing like a 6 year saying she has been "hooking" ~ yup - I started her young :)
Now - we have decided to take up crocheting. My momma made Bailey a lovely pink blanket and she made herself a KING size comforter!!! So as a tribute to my momma, I thought it would be fun to take it up again. We bought the beginner book, a pack of needles and found my stash of yarn from my momma......and our journey has begun. We are off and running hoping to make a blanket.....ok...maybe a pot holder. But just like her "hooking" ....we are not crocheting....we are crotch-et-ing. Not sure where her mind is...remember, she is only 11 ....but I think we are in trouble. She is the only person I know that can take sewing and creating and turn it into a sexual reference. So for the time being....Bailey and I will be crotcheting and hooking our creations away.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Lol - at her calling it "hooking"...too cute

I am so jealous. I have always wanted to know how to do all of those things. I taught myself had to sew after I was married but other than that, I am helpless.

Do you give lessons? : )